Sunday, July 21, 2013

Our Family Is Growing, but not in the way you're thinking...

I have found that growing happens in many different ways. We grow through experiences in our house, mainly. Through all our trials and tribulations, we have grown into new people it seems. Christopher grows as a child should and in amazing ways. The way his life moves seems to be a similitude of the way my life is. Sometimes his growing pains are difficult for him because he wants to be free and make his own decisions and live his life the way he sees fit, rather than through the guidelines we have set for him.

I find myself with those same growing pains...

Our family has endured much in the short time we have been together and most of it has made us stronger. This new chapter in our lives will probably have the same effect.

We are moving from our beloved first home in Rancho Cordova, California to find our new selves in Pocatello, Idaho! It all seems so crazy, and it is because we are to make the move in the next 3 1/2 months!

What do you do with all the things and places that have memories attached? Leave the things, take the memories.

We have been born and raised in California and it will seem strange to have a child that will barely remember living here at all. I, on the other hand, will have LOADS of memories, good and bad, that I take with me. I know we will obviously be making new ones, but I have become accustomed to my life here with little change. I realize now while writing this, like finding out you've never truly been in love with the person you're with, I don't care for my life as its played out the last few years.

I will miss my friends, our ease of access to fun places I know and love, I will miss what might have been. I'm reading a book that attempts to ease me into my new life when it reminds me that I "must be willing to let go of the life [I] planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for [me]," Joseph Campbell.

So, here goes something...

8 comments:

  1. Yes, to the life that is waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i fear the unknown. i believe we are doing the right thing, but it's so hard! LOL
    i had plans, and God had better ones...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, it will be an awesome experience for you guys! Just one word of advice from someone who moves all the time, the less you take with you the easier the move will be. It sounds like you're already on the right track, take the memories, not the things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh so true but oh so very difficult for someone who tends to attach feelings and memories to things and places :-P but i've been working on it! i'm sure i'll do a lot better with Ben's help.
    thank you Kristi! i need all the advice i can get! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are going to miss all 3 of you guys. We hope all goes well in your new adventure. I lived in Pocatello during WW II ... my dad was stationed somewhere close by, I guess. I was just a little kid, about Christopher's age when we lived there. My brothers always told me that our parents were going to drop me off in the Indian Reservation. Needless to say, I would hide down on the car floor everytime we got even close to there ... LOL, what are older brothers for????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHA!!! i got a similar threat but it was at Sutter's Fort and the "bear pit". terrified for years when we would visit the place!
      we will definitely miss all of the wonderful people we've come to know and love around here.

      Delete
  6. I've been wanting to move or a while, so I'm a little jealous. :) I wish you the best of luck on this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally get the jealous thing because we have watched so many people come and go and wish it was us doing so, but now that it's time to go i don't want to...well i do, but i don't :P

      Delete