Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Googled to Death...LITERALLY!


   Have you ever went to Google to search your symptoms? I'm not a big fan because I don't want to walk in to the doctor's office and tell them my findings from WebMd or Wiki. That being said, we did a quick check for Ben a little over 6 years ago. The answers we received are the typical ones I see: something that's no big deal, or cancer. Well, of course, as you know, it was indeed cancer. A few months later when treatment and surgeries were over, a new complication occurred. Again, because time was of the essence, we Googled Ben's symptoms: no big deal, or necrotizing fasciitis (yeah, I Googled that). And, once again, it was the worst case scenario.


   Now it doesn't always turn out to be the worst thing you could ever imagine...when Ben is searching for something. Me, on the other hand, I ALWAYS get cancer as my top answer to whatever is ailing me (according to Google), so I never look there. I am a big proponent of looking in medical books I've acquired over the years or calling my handful of medical professional friends I know and trust. This way when I visit the doc's office I have accredited sources.


   I have had Google be right with the cancer scare when I was having localized pain in my abdomen a little over 10 years ago. The doctor was very concerned it might be pancreatic cancer but was hoping it was simply pancreatitis (Googled that too). Thankfully it was the latter!

Who knew such a tiny little organ could cause so much pain!

   Well, I am 0 for 3 again on the Google searching: Doctors are concerned I may have a clot in my left leg, and wait for it...CANCER! Of course, what we are hoping for is perimenopause. I have a scan today to search for the clot and a series of tests to run in a couple of weeks for the other stuff.


   Not to sound brave or anything, but I'm not worried. Maybe I will be if I get the bad diagnosis. Right now it's a game of Hurry Up and Wait, but at least I will get answers. It may turn out to be like a choose-your-own-adventure series, but I'm up for the challenge...I think...


   I will keep you updated on everything. In the meantime, prayers, good thoughts, that sort of thing are a good thing to have in my corner right now. It may be nothing big, but it's always good to be prepared, right!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Blythe, I am praying so hard for you! I was sad we couldn't see you guys while you were down here, I should have tried to make plans with you earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Megan :) we will get together another time, I have no doubt! Thank you for your prayers and your friendship

      Delete